show / hide sidebar
or Solar Tiles?
Lately, more and more people, should the opportunity arise, prefer to use
renewable, clean and environmentally friendly sources of energy. The sun's rays are a great alternative energy source. Solar panels are not new and exotic, and in the last ten years they have been competing with lighter
and smaller-sized solar tiles, also used in roofs. Solar panels and solar
tiles, called solar cells and photovoltaic devices, are made of photo elements which are capable of converting the sunshine energy into electric current. In order to utilize solar energy in an efficient manner, it is recommended to install the solar panels south, southeast or southwest. In the article we will look at some of the peculiarities, advantages
and disadvantages of solar panels and solar tiles. Once you finish article, we believe you will be able to to choose the best solution for your home.
Solar Panels - A Proven Technology
- Solar panels are older than solar tiles. They were created in the 1950s. Nowadays, we can still find 40-year-old solar panels working at 80% of their original capacity;
- The average dimensions of a solar panel are 65” x 40”, the output power (depending on the type and size) - from 3W- 260W;
- Typically, solar panels are mounted 6” from the roof or other surfaces in order to provide ventilation. Sometimes birds, squirrels, cats, and even bats are to be found in this void. Recently, special screens have been installed to protect against the invasion of unwanted occupants;
- Solar panels are mounted at a specific angle to catch the sun's rays. Besides stationary solar panels, there are also solar panels that can be rotated at different times of the day for optimal solar energy take-up;
- Solar panels can be moved from one place to another and also mounted not only on the roof but on a suitable construction in the yard and even on the balcony;
- It should be noted that minimal roof reconstruction is required when installing solar panels. Good news is that even though sometimes pricey, solar panels usually have a lifetime guarantee of 20-30 years.
- The New Alternative
- Solar tiles first appeared in the market in 2005. Since they are a relatively new product, there is currently not enough reliable data on how long they can last;
- Solar tiles are available in size and shape like regular tiles, with a separate solar tile producing energy from 13W-63W. This type of photovoltaic device has less efficiency than solar panels, but it works hard to improve this indicator;
- Solar tiles are similarly mounted on bituminous roof tiles and installed relatively quickly. It is most convenient to place the solar panels with the roof construction;
- The solar tiles are designed well and give the building a complete and exquisite appearance, are resistant to weather changes and withstand load almost as much as bitumen tiles;
- Solar tiles are difficult to position to maximize the sunshine even if the roof is south;
- Solar tiles emit heat, which must be able to withstand the surface on which they are mounted. In summer seasons, it is imperative to provide very good ventilation of attic rooms and attic spaces to avoid overheating.
Follow us on:
for daily company articles and info!